Information for New Patients
The following information should be read in conjunction with new Covid-19 procedures that we have had to introduce recently.
If you are new to Mulberry Osteopaths there are a few things we would like to bring to your attention to explain what will happen during your first appointment with us:
- Your initial consultation will be with one of our registered Osteopaths and will take the form of a short telephone consultation followed by a face to face consultation which should take about 30 minutes.
- We will arrange the telephone consultation at a mutually convenient time so that we can get information relating to the reason for your visit along with any previous medical history in advance of your actual appointment.
- On your first visit it would be useful if you arrived at the clinic 5 minutes before your allotted appointment time as there will be some basic paperwork to complete before you see the Osteopath.
- On arrival you will be asked to fill in a registration card which details your name, date of birth, address and contact details. There is also a Patient Information and Consent Form for you to read and sign before your appointment.
- Having already collected information from you during the telephone consultation the face to face appointment involves a physical examination and appropriate treatment.
- You may be asked to undress to your underwear to allow the Osteopath to examine you. However, it is important that you feel comfortable and if you would prefer to change into shorts or leggings, T-shirt or vest this would normally be sufficient to allow us to continue with the examination.
- Osteopathy is a ‘hands-on’ treatment and given the fact that the treatment will involve close contact we are very happy for you to bring along a friend or relative to act as a chaperone through the consultation and treatment. Essentially we want you to feel comfortable and at ease.
- The Osteopath will talk you through what he / she is finding during the examination and explain the diagnosis of the problem along with the treatment options. If you are happy we can then move on to the treatment.
- Treatment will involve hands on contact and it is important that you let the Osteopath know if you are at all uncomfortable with the treatment process. If you have any concerns regarding pain or if you are simply unsure about the techniques being used let the Osteopath know.
- At the end of the treatment the Osteopath will remind you of some of the details of the diagnosis and what the treatment plan is along with any self-help suggestions such as relevant exercise approaches.
- At the end of the appointment a follow up appointment can be arranged if this is appropriate.
We hope that this explains the process involved during your initial consultation but if there are any more questions you have regarding your appointment please feel free to contact us.